Re: Switching from GNOME to another window manager

On Sun, 2009-09-06 at 10:21 +0800, Jason Hsu wrote:
> I used the default install to install Debian on a laptop as the sole OS.
>
> It boots up in GNOME, which is too slow and sluggish.  How can I switch to XFCE, Fluxbox, or some other lightweight window manager?

1) You could do a reinstall:
get the iso (debian-502a-i386-xfce+lxde-CD-1.iso) from here
http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/5.0.2a/i386/iso-cd/

2) to install xfce on your current system:
aptitude install xfce4
aptitude install xfce4-goodies
log out
at the login screen press F10 and select the "Select Session" option.
Xfce will be one of the options.