Re: dpkg broken because of scilab-sivp

On Friday 04 September 2009 09:03:34 Mike P wrote:
> $ apt-get remove scilab-sivp
> dpkg: error processing sivp (--configure):
>  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1

This error is because of something that happened before it, that usually
generates some output.  You appear to have trimmed the output.

However, in general, you can bypass this error--"subprocess post-installation
script returned error"--by removing /var/lib/dpkg/info/$package.postinst.
There's also $package.preinst, $package.prerm, and $package.postrm.

These scripts to arbitrary setup/cleanup for a package, so removing/editing
them may leave your system in a crufty state.  This can generally be ignored.
If you want to cleanup doing an install/purge cycle of the same package (once
your package management is healthy again) will generally work.

If the script has not been mangled by your system (I've seen fs corruption hit
these scripts before), a bug report may be in order.  As you've noticed, one
of these scripts being bad can really gum-up apt/aptitude.