Re: dpkg sees packages that don't exist

On 2009-09-02 22:25 +0200, Todd A. Jacobs wrote:

> I have the following output from dpkg:
>
>     $ dpkg --get-selections ia32-cross\*
>     ia32-crossover-games-demo                       install
>     ia32-crossover-gamesdemo                        deinstall
>     ia32-crossover-pro                              install
>     ia32-crossover-standard                         install
>
> but I can't remove Crossover Standard because:
>
>     $ sudo dpkg -r ia32-crossover-standard
>     dpkg: warning: ignoring request to remove ia32-crossover-standard which isn't installed.

It seems the package has been marked for installation, but was not
actually installed.  Do you still have an entry for these packages in
your sources.list?

> How do I get dpkg to stop listing a package that it doesn't think is
> installed?

Marking the package for purge should do the trick:

# cat | dpkg --set-selections <<EOF
ia32-crossover-games-demo                       purge
ia32-crossover-pro                              purge
ia32-crossover-standard                         purge
EOF

No warranties, I did not test this.

Sven