Re: problem compiling kernel

On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 00:50:10 +0200, Bernard wrote:

<----- snip ------>

> The initrd.img that I have on my working system, as well as those
> initrd.img that 'mkinitrd' generates when requested, are not compressed
> files. Filenames are : initrd.img-2.6.20-16-386 for instance. No .gz
> behind. I still tried to gunzip one, just in case that would still be a
> compressed file without usual extension, but no, it is not handled by
> gunzip or zcat. I tried cpio on that file as is, but I got : 'cpio:
> premature end of file'. a 'vi filename' shows that this is a binary
> file. No point to edit then.
>
> So, at this point, I don't have a clue of how to build an initrd.img
> file that would allow my newly compiled 2.6.30.4 kernel to boot on my
> system.
>
>> then edit init to match my needs i.e. depmod, modprobe, cryptsetup etc
>> and finally put a line to run the real init. I then zip it
>>        find . ! -name *~ | cpio -H newc --create | gzip -9 >
>>        ../test-initrd.gz
>> I can install then the new initrd (cp ../test-initrd.gz
>> /boot/initrd....gz)
>>
>>Once you've done it it's very simple and easy ... before it was a big
>>trouble for me too.
>>
>>Just look positive as way to learn something new about your operating
>>system.
>>
>>reagrds

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding, but are you saying that although you've
included 'make --initrd . . ' in your compile command sequence, you are
still not getting an appropriate initrd.img?

This appears to be some kind of bug in the 2.6.30 kernel & I've managed
to solve this by using the "update-initramfs -c -k linux-2.6.30-x-custom"
command.  After doing this, check your /boot to see if there is, in fact,
a new 'initrd.img-2.6.30-x-custom' file.  If there is, update your grub
or lilo & reboot.

I've compiled 5 different versions of the 2.6.30-x kernel & had to do
this in each one.

The developers know about this but so far haven't done squat about it -
maybe they consider it a low priority or something.

Hope this helps . . .

   ~A~

--
A person needs only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move
and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.