file system error on boot, fsck won't run, but system comes up after Ctrl-D

Hello,

I've never quite experienced anything like this.

The power in my apartment was momentarily cut, and, of course, my computer went down immediately. Upon restoration of the power, I booted the machine, and found an error message stating that there was something amiss in the filesystem, and that it should be checked/repaired.
Fsck would not run automatically, and I was dropped to a shell.
I tried to run fsck -y and was informed that hda7 was mounted, so aborted.
Then, I attempted to fsck -M -y, and fsck almost immediately said all was clean and exited.
I rebooted, to find the same error message.

The error message also informed me that I could press Ctrl-D to proceed with boot, which I did. The system booted without issue, and I am now writing from the same machine. Everything seems to be working just fine, but I worry whether something is amiss and requires attention. I'm not quite sure what to do to further diagnose or resolve the issue, or, indeed, since the system is up and running, if the matter even requires further attention on my part.

Here is the output from tail dmesg:

[   11.594118] gspca: gspca driver 01.00.20 registered
[  292.564908] fuse init (API version 7.9)
[  292.696182] kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
[  292.696182] EXT3 FS on hda1, internal journal
[  292.696182] EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
[  292.730286] kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
[ 292.730286] EXT3-fs warning: mounting fs with errors, running e2fsck is recommended
[  292.732201] EXT3 FS on hda5, internal journal
[  292.732207] EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
[  293.814602] eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0x45E1

tia,
Tony Baldwin

--
http://www.baldwinsoftware.com