Re: /dev/ttyUSB0 communication - shell script - Watchport/H

On 2009-09-01 06:05, Tomek Kruszona wrote:
Hello!

I have Watchport/H sensor that monitors air humidity and temperature. I
can get information about monitored values sending strings (i.e. T<CR>
for temperature value) via minicom.
How can I get values from serial port (/dev/ttyUSB0) using a shell script?
I tried scripting in minicom and it works ok, but I get output in
minicom window. I'd like to use values from Watchport for monitoring
script so it would be great to get output to stdout...

The problem I see is knowing when new data arrives on /dev/ttyUSB0. There's obviously a solution, since minicom does it, but it might involve async interrupt handlers, which would probably require a small C program which reads /dev/ttyUSB0 and outputs it to stdout.

Digging through the source code of /usr/bin/tail to see how it implements the "-f" option would also be helpful.

--
Brawndo's got what plants crave.  It's got electrolytes!