Re: how to modify string in binary files ?

[Please reply only to the list, and don't cc. me, as per the list CoC.]

On Tue, 01 Sep 2009 09:24:06 +0800
Jerome BENOIT <jgmbenoit@mailsnare.net> wrote:

> Celejar wrote:
> > On Tue, 01 Sep 2009 08:08:50 +0800
> > Jerome BENOIT <jgmbenoit@mailsnare.net> wrote:
> >
> >> Hello List,
> >>
> >> I would like to change the string of a file name in a (propriety) binary:
> >> if applicable, how can we do that ?
> >
> > Use a hex editor?
>
> Let me specify. My binary file is an executable binary file,
> not a data file. Of course, I want to be able to run the modified version.
>
> So according to you, I have just to edit my binary, modify the string by hand,
> and the modified binary is fine: is there any side effect ?

Since it's a binary file, you can't know for sure, but IIUC, there
likely won't be any side effects.  I'm no expert on this stuff, though,
so please take my advice with a grain of salt.

Celejar