Re: List Ettiquette

On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 11:10 PM, Ron Johnson<ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> On 2009-08-29 23:02, JoeHill wrote:
>>
>> Neal Hogan wrote:
>>>
>>> <using gmail . . . rich formatting . . . clicked "repy to all">
>>> <oh . . . and this is top-posted>
>>> get over the email format!
>>
>> It's called being polite, and putting other people's needs ahead of your
>> own.
>> It's not a bad thing, it's a human thing.
>>
>>> gmail provides a nice gui-riffic format that many feel comfortable
>>> using. I don't get where this complaining about client usage is going.
>>> If you a want  more "pure" OS, then . . . ummmm . . . go somewhere
>>> else.
>>
>> It's not a question of 'pure', it's a question of standards. The reason we
>> are
>> all able to communicate is that we all agree to a standard set of symbols
>> convey meaning. If someone comes on here and starts asking us to forgive
>> the
>> fact that they use different letters than we do, we're gonna say 'go f
>> yourself', and with good reason.
>>
>> Standards are the reason we're all here. Standards are the reason we use
>> things
>> like Debian. Standards are the reason that Debian works.
>>
>> Can people deviate? Yes. Is it a good thing for people to deviate from
>> standards once in awhile? Absolutely. Should they be surprised or confused
>> when
>> someone calls them on it? Not if they have a working brain.
>
> While I agree with what you wrote, the sad fact is that gmail's pervasive
> adoption by geeks has in much email conversation pushed aside the /de jure/
> and /de facto/ in-line posting standard and replaced it with a new /de
> facto/ standard.
>
> We keepers of the in-line posting flame are a shrinking minority, now
> dominant only on Very Geeky lists.

I'm in the mood to continue this thread . . . I apologize . . .

Quite right! It seems to me, that if this "html/gmail" thing is
pervasive enough as you (no one in particular) seem to think it is and
are that annoyed, then you are going to continue to be annoyed.

As Ron has just pointed out, this is the norm . . . and for good
reason! We don't have to think; we have email, calendar,  . . . shit .
. . I'm sure there are other things . . . it's free and gui-riffic . .
. very appealing to many.

Again, the inline thing is not a gmail/guiMail thing. I'm responding
via gmail (if it is not inline, please (truthfully) let me know). It's
a user thing, as most things are.

LONG LIVE THE IN-LINE POSTING FLAME (just kidding . . . sincerely, STOP)