Re: Is there an indexing tool in linux that can help quickly search the contents of all my files?

On 2009-08-29 19:25, Kevin Ross wrote:
From: Peng Yu [mailto:pengyu.ut@gmail.com] Sent: Saturday, August 29, 2009 5:21 PM

Hi,

On windows machines, there is "google desktop" which searchs the files
contents. Mac has "spotlight" which also search the file contents in a
mac machine.

In linux, I know the command 'locate' which search all the filenames.
But I am wondering if there is a tool that can search file contents.

I know that the combination of 'find' and 'grep' can search the
contents, but it is slow. Can somebody let me know if there is a much
faster solution which might rely on an indexing database?

Regards,
Peng

If you like Google Desktop, there's a Linux version.
http://desktop.google.com/linux/index.html

Good that it supports ODF files, Tbird mbox files and man pages. Bad that it doesn't support local IMAP servers, nor AbiWord and Gnumeric documents.

--
Obsession with "preserving cultural heritage" is a racist impediment
to moral, physical and intellectual progress.