Re: hotmail sends blank messages from iceweasel

On 2009-08-29 14:30, Paul Johnson wrote:
On Sat, 2009-08-29 at 19:10 +0100, Chris Lale wrote:
Osamu Aoki wrote:
Hi,

On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 01:27:21AM +0100, Chris Lale wrote:
Charles wrote:
On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 14:42:09 -0700
Paul Johnson <baloo@ursamundi.org> wrote:
On Thu, 2009-08-27 at 20:51 +0100, Chris Lale wrote:
Hotmail does not like Iceweasel.
Yes, it's Iceweasel that has the problem.
[...]
It is not Iceweasel's fault.  But I understand it is a problem for you.
I realise this. I'm sorry if my post did not make it clear. The intention of my
original post was merely to document how to overcome the problem (with Hotmail,
not Iceweasel) by spoofing the user agent, so that other users can find a fix
for the problem.

That's not a fix.  It's a bandaid for someone else's broken site design.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robustness_principle

    Be conservative in what you do; be liberal in what you accept
    from others.

Thus, applying this band aid is a perfectly acceptable tactic.

The fix:  Don't use broken websites.  Don't give them financial reward
for putting up a site that sucks.

Yet again, Paul, you fail to realize that the world is not black and white. There may be Some Other Reason why the user prefers hotmail.

--
Obsession with "preserving cultural heritage" is a racist impediment
to moral, physical and intellectual progress.