Re: Install Aspell without Removing Openoffice

Ron Johnson wrote:
On 2009-08-29 14:39, Jason C. Wells wrote:
When I attempt to install aspell synaptic reports that openoffice will be removed. How do I install aspell without removing openoffice?

What branch?

Lenny.
In Sid, I have OO.o 3.1 3.1.0-5 (using libhunspell-1.2-0 1.2.8-4) and aspell 0.60.6-2 living together in perfect harmony.

Also, you may be auto-installing Recommends and/or Suggests packages, or auto-removing "un-needed" auto-installed packages.

Openoffice was manually installed by me. I am attempting to manually install aspell. Your suggestion caused me to look into automatic package removal and installation a little deeper.

Openoffice.org has a list of dependencies that were automatically installed, -calc, -writer, -base and so forth. As an experiment I manually installed openoffice.org-calc to see if that would cause it not be included in the remove list when I attempted to install aspell. The remove list still included openoffice.org-calc so I do not believe that aspell causing the auto-remove of OOo is a result of a package having been auto-installed but something else.

I took a look at the dependencies list of dictionaries-common which is a dependency of aspell. dictionaries-common replaces openoffice.org-updatedicts. I am suspicious that this conflict is causing the trouble but I don't see an openoffice.org-updatedicts package in synaptic.

For what it's worth, if I install aspell first and then try to install openoffice.org I get the very same problem except backwards. That is, a subsequent install of openoffice.org will cause aspell to be removed.

Thanks,
Jason