Applying a patch to existing code

According to some of the folk who have developed Amarok, Amazon has changed their API which now means that Amarok is unable to access and download album cover art. However, a patch has been released but I have no idea on how to apply the patch to the application.

Looking this up on Google seems to suggest that I download the source code for the application (Amarok) and then several other files as well (the names escape me now). When I did start off down this road, apt-get wanted to pull in a whole bunch of additional files which scared me off a bit from wanting to go any further.

What I would appreciate is:

(a) asking the upstream Amarok maintainers for Debian if they are aware of these issues regarding the Amazon changes to their APIs and, if so, whether the patch is any good and whether it'll be included in an update? (This assumes that any maintainers read this list); and

(b) some guidance in relatively straightforward terms on how to apply a patch to an application. A link to a "how-to" is fine ... aside from bug reports and how to apply kernel patches, there was very little that I could come up with using Google.

Thank you for any help.

AG