Re: x won't start as a particular user. for other users works fine. what file is causing it? how to troubleshoot?

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 17:11:45 -0400, Mitchell Laks wrote:
> On 00:36 Tue 25 Aug     , Emanoil Kotsev wrote:
> > look in /tmp or /var/tmp
> >
> > delete related files and dirs belonging to the user and restart X.
> >
> > they probably killed the pc and it has some lock files around
> >
> > it's broken!
>
> I agree that there is some file that is causing the problem, but I think it is in
> /home/bill rather than in /tmp /var/tmp. I just deleted
> rm -rf and thing owned my bill in those two driectories
> and still no solution.
>
> Recall that if I change the login directory to
> /home/bill/temp in /etc/passwd
> then bill can startx just as any other user can. it is only
> from the /home/bill that x fails (silently :()

Which filesystem is used on the partition that holds /home/bill? When
did you last check it for errors? Does "smartctl -a ..." report anything
suspicious about the hard drive?

What do you get from

stat /home/bill/

lsattr -d /home/bill/