Re: problem compiling kernel

Emanoil Kotsev wrote:

Bernard wrote:

Compiling md in the kernel is the right approach to boot from raided root
without initrd. You can try this just skipping (deleteing the line in grub
temporary)
I just tried that. Raid compiled into the kernel instead of modules. No initrd. Still crashes at boot.

Also done another test:
in the /boot/grub/menu.lst file, replaced root=/dev/mapper/vg00-root by /dev/sda2. Still crashed : "cannot open root device 'sda2' or unknown block(0,0).

There is another test that I would like to run, but I need help for this, since I don't know the whole package list:

apt-get purge kernel-building gcc make kernel-utils etc...

then edit my /etc/apt/sources.list and comment out lines that refer to package directories that are too recent, uncomment old lines referring to debian sarge packages only, excluding 'testing' etc..

then

apt-get install kernel-building gcc make kernel-utils etc...

and, from there on, trying to recompile, not newer kernels, but my good old running kernel 2.6.20-16-386 into a custom version without any sound options in it.

What I need is the list of all packages that I should purge and re-install in their former version.

regards