problem compiling kernel

Hi to Everyone,

I need to re-compile my kernel so that it does not include sound support inside. I am running Debian 3.1 (Sarge). My system is on RAID1. My /boot partition is from /dev/sda1 (mirror on /dev/sdb1) installed on /dev/md0 (ext3), while my '/' partition is from /dev/sda2 and /dev/sdb2 installed on /dev/md1 mounted on /dev/mapper/vg00-root (LVM2). It's been working OK for several years.

The easiest way would be to try re-compiling from /boot/config-2.6.20-16-386 using make oldconfig. But this repeatedly fails. 'make' soon returns error messages saying that such and such function have not been declared. Since the process works with more recent kernels, I suppose that the Makefile that I have in /usr/src/linux-2.6.20-16-386 is buggy, or else, maybe the version of gcc/make that I get is no longer compatible with said Makefile : I must admit that I have sometimes ran 'apt-get install' on various packages with a /etc/apt/sources.list that contained lines referring to testing directories.

So, upon my failures to recompile kernel 2.6.20-16-386, I tried downloading 2.6.20-17-386, but I got the same results. However, with 2.6.26.2, it did compile without errors... but in the end the image won't boot !

My compiling process does not generate initrd.img, so I did generate one using 'mkinitrd', and I wrote its path in /boot/grub/menu.lst with the kernel image.

Here is what I get on booting trials :

boot starts, as usual text displays very fast and you cannot read until it stops. When this happen, I can read this :

"
md: raid0 personality registered for level 0
md: raid1 personality registered for level 1
device mapper................
no filesystem could mount root. Tried: cramfs
kernel panic - not syncing: VFS unable to mount root fs on unknown block(0,0)
"

So, I re-tried compiling after de-activating raid0 in the config, leaving only raid1... to the same end result.

Could someone tell me what options I should select in the config so as to obtain a new kernel that will boot my RAID architecture ?

I know that there are other ways to compile Debian kernels, using 'make-kpkg', but this does not work here, likely because this tool version is too old or too new for my system : it keeps saying that parameters are missing, while the howtos that I saw did not mention any such parameters for make-kpkg.

By the way, I noticed that the initrd.img that I obtain using mkinitrd are about 5 times bigger than that which is used to boot my usual kernel. I am not sure that I am using mkinitrd correctly.

mkinitrd -o initrd.img-2.6.26.2 2.6.26 done from /boot issues an error messages saying that this image will not take raid into account, and that therefore it won't boot, unless the main image contains what is missing here. In any case, it doesn't boot. The same command issued in /usr/src/linux-2.6.26.2 does not send any error message, but in the end the image doesn't boot either.

Thanks in advance for your help