Re: problem compiling kernel

Sorry forgot to write

Yes there is problem compiling the 2.6.20 with recent gcc

The problem is the compiler. If you are compiling just grab the last version
from kernel.org.

2.6.30.4 seems to be working fine

>> So, upon my failures to recompile kernel 2.6.20-16-386, I tried
>> downloading 2.6.20-17-386, but I got the same results. However, with
>> 2.6.26.2, it did compile without errors... but in the end the image
>> won't boot !
>>
>> My compiling process does not generate initrd.img, so I did generate one
>> using 'mkinitrd', and I wrote its path in /boot/grub/menu.lst with the
>> kernel image.
>>
>> Here is what I get on booting trials :
>>
>> boot starts, as usual text displays very fast and you cannot read until
>> it stops. When this happen, I can read this :
>>
>> "
>> md: raid0 personality registered for level 0
>> md: raid1 personality registered for level 1
>> device mapper................
>> no filesystem could mount root. Tried: cramfs
>> kernel panic - not syncing: VFS unable to mount root fs on unknown
>> block(0,0)
>> "

try compiling the necessary modules _in_ the kernel.

>> So, I re-tried compiling after de-activating raid0 in the config,
>> leaving only raid1... to the same end result.

In the config it should be [*] not [M] if booting from raid - do the same
for LVM

make
make install
make modules_install - do you really need kpkg ?

>> mkinitrd -o initrd.img-2.6.26.2 2.6.26 done from /boot issues an error
>> messages saying that this image will not take raid into account, and
>> that therefore it won't boot, unless the main image contains what is
>> missing here. In any case, it doesn't boot. The same command issued in
>> /usr/src/linux-2.6.26.2 does not send any error message, but in the end
>> the image doesn't boot either.

do you have a not raid boot partition, where you can put the initrd image?