RE: problem compiling kernel

The kernel in Lenny is compiled with the gcc-4.1 version.  You should
compile with whatever version the stock kernel was compiled with.  If you're
using something older than Lenny, the way I check is, open any module under
/lib/modules/`uname -r` with vi, and search for GCC.  You will see the
version used.  There might be an easier way, but I don't know it.

-- Kevin