Re: [SOLVED]what sets the time at boot?

On 2009-08-21 16:18 +0200, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

> Wait! There is a sequence!
>
> So hwclock from util-linux-ng 2.16 needs /dev/rtc0 to function. If
> that is not around because in the kernel Device Drivers -> Real Time
> Clock is *not* set then the clock will not be set/saved with
> disastrous results.

This is only a problem for people who compile their kernels themselves,
and I think those should be able to deal with the breakage.

> But even so, if you are running chrony, there is still problems with
> saving the clock: at the moment the clock is saved chrony is still
> running and has /dev/rtc0 allocated so hwclock fails!

I don't know, as I do not use chrony.

> Solution: in /etc/rc0.d + rc6.d chrony is K83 and hwclock K25 so reset
> chrony to K24 instead.

Nowadays the numbers are computed by insserv from the LSB init headers.
If you are right, the chrony script should have a header

Required-Stop: hwclock

to insure that it is stopped before hwclock.

> I believe this to be a bug, Isn't it?

Feel free to report a bug against chrony.  Or, maybe better, amend the
existing #407466 which seems to be about this problem.

Sven