Re: [SOLVED]what sets the time at boot?

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
Sven Joachim wrote:
On 2009-08-20 18:42 +0200, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

Sven Joachim wrote:
This is *not* the kernel you used when you filed #542443.
Good eyes! Indeed it is not, it is the latest Debian Sid kernel 2.6.30-1-686

And what about your home-brew kernel?

I am adding those now, with the new make-kpkg, done.
Try booting that next.

<snip>

Are you sure that it was not your self-compiled kernel under which that
failed?

I am sure because I had to edit the grub menu for the Debian kernel to boot.
Mystery :-(

Thanks Sven, I am running with it now.

The failure I got with the Debian kernel was the superblock time was in the future. However, that was after booting my homebrew kernel which did not have rtc0 set. I don't actually remember executing hwclock.

The secret seems to be that with hwclock from util-linux-ng 2.16 the kernel config has to have:

/home/hugoThu Aug 20-13:44:14HDC3# grep -i rtc /boot/config-$(uname -r) | grep -v ^#
CONFIG_HPET_EMULATE_RTC=y
CONFIG_RTC_LIB=y
CONFIG_RTC_CLASS=y
CONFIG_RTC_HCTOSYS=y
CONFIG_RTC_HCTOSYS_DEVICE="rtc0"
CONFIG_RTC_INTF_SYSFS=y
CONFIG_RTC_INTF_PROC=y
CONFIG_RTC_INTF_DEV=y
CONFIG_RTC_DRV_CMOS=y

And my homebrew did not. Another problem resolved. Thanks again. I'll close the bug.

BTW the reason I run with a homebrew kernel is *with* it my 2 USB disks show up at initrd time. With the Debian kernel only one of the shows up!

Hugo