Re: how to migrate request-tracker database from sqlite3 to mysql

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:

> No, thank $DEITY.  I had a couple of jobs involving Oracle, but I tend to
> avoid anything were I have to deal with too much proprietary software.

I am using oracle at work and compiled tora with ora support. At this point
I wanted to install the export tool and that's how I found out what's going
on - _crazy_.

>>... so programmers can be kept buzzy :-) otherways we could have an AI
>>engine about 10 years ago.
>
> Weak AI has existed for more than 10 years.

if a state machine with a bit of variations is kind of AI ... well the steam
engine was also kind of invention and progress for about a century....

> Strong AI is still a pipe dream.  It's not "just" a issue of time, we
> don't
> really have an idea what goes into a system like that.  We don't know how
> to imbue consciousness (or if that's just an illusion of complex
> interactions) or even how to write a general learning system that can both
> expand it's own scope with "meta"-assertions and operate both in
> non-deterministic way and with incomplete information with
> "fuzzy"-assertions.
>
> We've got some really interesting research projects happening now and in
> the
> past.  Some have seen commercial applications.  Japan has very interesting
> specialty robots, but none driven by what anyone would consider a "strong"
> AI.
>
> I'm not even sure we want strong AI.

yes and no, what I mean that people get focused on stuff that shouldn't
matter and could be solved in the way w3c does it. We and commercials too
should focus on what's really important - education (from ai-it
perspective). this will bring us closer to real AI. It's just a matter of
time. do we want it sooner or later is our choice - or may be not.

>>functions are a big pain because PL/SQL is proprietary ... then there was
>>the pgSQL coming close to PL/SQL but not exactly ... and so on, so I'm
>>wondering where the world and we are going. especially open source
>>community could be more standard oriented.
>
> That would be nice.  I'd like to see more Free Software be certified, but
> that usually costs $$$$, and doesn't always mesh well with the
> Bazaar-style development that some projects use.
>
>>Perhaps we have to ask w3c to provide a markup for database and leave all
>>this "pretty close" sql sh*t.
>
> Right, because every piece of HTML you see is strictly-conforming.  W3C
> hasn't done any better than any other standards organization.

so DTD for SQL :-)

>>However I learned years ago something useful about databases. You have to
>>plan the size, speed, scalability, functionality etc. _before_ you start
>>using whatever database.
>>You have to check export/import _before_ you start using whatever
>> database. You better simulate database corruption _before_ you start
>> using whatever database and so on.
>
> You should really be doing that with any piece of software.  If you can't
> evaluate it, definitely don't spend any money on it.  If you haven't
> tested it, don't put it into production.

I mean databases turn to be critical at some point of time and it's usually
too late to think about migration. That's how $$ software get's sold.
The keyword is scalability.

regards