Re: how to migrate request-tracker database from sqlite3 to mysql

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:

> In <[🔎] h6lhuk$eke$1@ger.gmane.org>, Emanoil Kotsev wrote:
>>Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
>>>
>>> The "S" in SQL stands/stood for "Structured".  [...]
>>>
>>> In short, most SQL you will find is not strictly-conforming, just like
>>> most shell scripts and C/C++ programs.
>>
>>hehe, I was thinking (because reading about standardization of SQL) it
>>stands for standard.
>>Thanks for pointing out.
>>
>>I've been playing with import/export sqlite - mysql/oracle.
>>Exporting only simple sql structure works (no indices and funktions).
>
> Functions are a real issue.  I believe there's some allowances for them in
> the standard, but the function body usually ends up being implementation
> specific.
>
> Plain indexes should be able to be pulled over fairly easily, though.
> Unless you are using some odd index type (e.g.: Oracle's bit-mask index
> type), it should have come over easily enough.
>
> Also, some *SQL products do not implement the whole of the standard or an
> older version[1], which causes more problems for portability of SQL code.

yeah tell me about that ... you ever tried to migrate oracle to oracle
higher/lower version?!

... so programmers can be kept buzzy :-) otherways we could have an AI
engine about 10 years ago.

functions are a big pain because PL/SQL is proprietary ... then there was
the pgSQL coming close to PL/SQL but not exactly ... and so on, so I'm
wondering where the world and we are going. especially open source
community could be more standard oriented.

Perhaps we have to ask w3c to provide a markup for database and leave all
this "pretty close" sql sh*t.

However I learned years ago something useful about databases. You have to
plan the size, speed, scalability, functionality etc. _before_ you start
using whatever database.
You have to check export/import _before_ you start using whatever database.
You better simulate database corruption _before_ you start using whatever
database and so on.

saaaad story but at the time after Columbus there were also no planes ;-)

regards