Re: Cannot Login

On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 22:14:02 -0300
Ariel Laganá <it@ariellagana.com.ar> wrote:

> Hi Raquel,
>
> Are you trying to log in as root or as a regular user? Can you
> provide further detail about the error...
>
> In case you're having trouble attempting to login as root, you can
> run linux in single mode which will start as root, without asking
> any password.
>
> Restart the server, when the GRUB menu appears press 'e' over your
> kernel entry (If you have set a password for GRUB, press 'p' first
> enter the pass and then press 'e') add the word 'single' at the end
> of the line starting with kernel. It will look something like this:
>
> title		 ....
> root		....
> kernel		/vmlinuz-2.6.26-2-686 root=/dev/sda1 ro single
> initrd		/initrd.img-2.6.26-2-686
>
> Press ENTER to save the changes, then 'b' to boot debian using that
> entry.
>
> You'll get a root console, without being asked for a password. Set
> a new root password, make any config you need and restart.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ariel

At this point I'd love to be able to login as anything.  I boot into
single mode using the GRUB menu and I'm still being asked for a login.

The boot dialog I get is:
Starting OpenBSD Secure Shell server:  sshdCould not load host
key: /etc/ssh/ssh_host_key
Disabling protocol version 1. Could not load host key
Missing privilege separation directory: /var/empty

I've also tried booting from a Knoppix 6.0.1 CD, which automatically
mounts all 3 drives.  The drives are software RAID, which I don't
know how to read.  cd-ing to those drives shows no data.

--
Raquel
The test of a government is not how popular it is with the powerful

  --President Jimmy Carter