trouble with smbclient

I'm trying to use smbclient to connect from the console of an Etch host to a
Windows server at work.  As root, I can mount my directory on the server by
entering this:

  mount -t cifs //site.uc.edu/kleene /mnt -o username=place/steve

and my password.  However, any of these smbclient lines fails:

  smbclient -L //site.uc.edu/kleene -U username=place/steve
  smbclient -L //site.uc.edu/kleene -U username=place/steve%password

  smbclient -L \\\\site.uc.edu\\kleene -U username=place\\steve
  smbclient -L \\\\site.uc.edu\\kleene -U username=place\\steve%password

The error is:
  session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

Any idea how to succeed with smbclient?  Thanks.