Re: restarting X fails and generates kernel panic on halt (was Re: Magic SysRq reboot (was Re: switching to proprietary ati radeon driver))

Hello,

On 8/18/09, thveillon.debian <thveillon.debian@googlemail.com> wrote:
>  I recently bought a HP 6730s with a ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3430 graphic
>  chip. I run Squeeze/Sid AMD64 just like you, and with 2.6.26* kernel and
>  the associated fglrx I ran into all kind of troubles: impossibility to
>  switch between virtual consoles, acpi going havoc with computer sometime
>  not halting, bunch of weird errors in dmesg and Xorg.o.log, screen never
>  coming up after kdm restart... I upgraded the kernel to 2.6.30*, xorg
>  and fglrx from Sid, and it's working like a charm. It's working great
>  with the radeon driver too, with full 2D acceleration, but 3D
>  performances are still really poor. I can restart kdm without problem
>  and switch back and forth virtual consoles.
>
>  Maybe the kernel/fglrx couple is just too old, and pre 9.5 fglrx are
>  known to have all kind of issues with virtual consoles switching.

In a previous e-mail you mentioned this:
"if you are running a 2.6.30 kernel the testing fglrx
won't build, you have to upgrade xorg and fglrx stuff to Sid."

Does the sid xorg still apply? I would not be ready at the moment to
experiment with a sid X. Moreover, I found out that issuing
halt/reboot from a console within X would more or less shut the system
cleanly (at least no kernel panics and stuff), which would mean that
my immediate issue is solved.

Thank you for the suggestions
Liviu