Re: restarting X fails and generates kernel panic on halt (was Re: Magic SysRq reboot (was Re: switching to proprietary ati radeon driver))

Liviu Andronic wrote:
> (Sorry for the long re-naming, but I fell the thread should get its
> proper name as the issue evolves)
>
> On 8/17/09, Wolodja Wentland <wentland@cl.uni-heidelberg.de> wrote:
>>  and voilà the system reboots and your data is as safe as possible.
>>
> Thank you, I completely forgot about this one. Two issues though:
> 1. In an older discussion on Gentoo ML, it was suggested that the
> SysRq procedure was normally designed for emergency situations only,
> and not for regular usage. Currently my laptop would qualify for SysRq
> shutdowns/reboots, but I would prefer to avoid using it for months.
>
> 2. Restarting X, such as when I log off Xfce and gdm restarts, will
> fail. This is almost certainly caused by the fglrx driver/setup, to
> which I switched these days. I also believe that this failure causes
> the kernel panic on shutdowns/reboots after X failed to restart
> (although panics can sometimes not happen).
>
> On gdm restart, X will complain of "ddm" module already built in.
> There are no such complaints during regular system boot, and initial
> start-up of X.
>
> Would anyone have ideas on how to get to the bottom of this issue?
> Thank you
> Liviu
>
> ###### Sys info ##########
> -Computer-
> Processor		: 2x AMD Turion(tm) X2 Dual-Core Mobile RM-72
> Memory		: 3804MB (1014MB used)
> Operating System		: Debian GNU/Linux squeeze/sid
> User Name		: liviu (Liviu)
> Date/Time		: Tue 18 Aug 2009 11:50:14 BST
> -Display-
> Resolution		: 1280x800 pixels
> OpenGL Renderer		: ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics
> X11 Vendor		: The X.Org Foundation
[...snip]
> -Version-
> Kernel		: Linux 2.6.26-2-amd64 (x86_64)
> Compiled		: #1 SMP Sun Jun 21 04:47:08 UTC 2009
> C Library		: GNU C Library version 2.9 (stable)
> Default C Compiler		: GNU C Compiler version 4.3.3 (Debian 4.3.3-14)
> Distribution		: Debian GNU/Linux squeeze/sid

Hi,
I recently bought a HP 6730s with a ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3430 graphic
chip. I run Squeeze/Sid AMD64 just like you, and with 2.6.26* kernel and
the associated fglrx I ran into all kind of troubles: impossibility to
switch between virtual consoles, acpi going havoc with computer sometime
not halting, bunch of weird errors in dmesg and Xorg.o.log, screen never
coming up after kdm restart... I upgraded the kernel to 2.6.30*, xorg
and fglrx from Sid, and it's working like a charm. It's working great
with the radeon driver too, with full 2D acceleration, but 3D
performances are still really poor. I can restart kdm without problem
and switch back and forth virtual consoles.

Maybe the kernel/fglrx couple is just too old, and pre 9.5 fglrx are
known to have all kind of issues with virtual consoles switching.

Hope it helps.

Tom