restarting X fails and generates kernel panic on halt (was Re: Magic SysRq reboot (was Re: switching to proprietary ati radeon driver))

(Sorry for the long re-naming, but I fell the thread should get its
proper name as the issue evolves)

On 8/17/09, Wolodja Wentland <wentland@cl.uni-heidelberg.de> wrote:
>  and voilà the system reboots and your data is as safe as possible.

Thank you, I completely forgot about this one. Two issues though:
1. In an older discussion on Gentoo ML, it was suggested that the
SysRq procedure was normally designed for emergency situations only,
and not for regular usage. Currently my laptop would qualify for SysRq
shutdowns/reboots, but I would prefer to avoid using it for months.

2. Restarting X, such as when I log off Xfce and gdm restarts, will
fail. This is almost certainly caused by the fglrx driver/setup, to
which I switched these days. I also believe that this failure causes
the kernel panic on shutdowns/reboots after X failed to restart
(although panics can sometimes not happen).

On gdm restart, X will complain of "ddm" module already built in.
There are no such complaints during regular system boot, and initial
start-up of X.

Would anyone have ideas on how to get to the bottom of this issue?
Thank you
Liviu

###### Sys info ##########
-Computer-
Processor		: 2x AMD Turion(tm) X2 Dual-Core Mobile RM-72
Memory		: 3804MB (1014MB used)
Operating System		: Debian GNU/Linux squeeze/sid
User Name		: liviu (Liviu)
Date/Time		: Tue 18 Aug 2009 11:50:14 BST
-Display-
Resolution		: 1280x800 pixels
OpenGL Renderer		: ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics
X11 Vendor		: The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter		: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
Audio Adapter		: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI HDMI
-Input Devices-
 Macintosh mouse button emulation
 AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
 Power Button (FF)
 Power Button (CM)
 Lid Switch
 PC Speaker
 Video Bus
 Video Bus
 SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad
 HP Webcam
-Printers (CUPS)-
psc_1200_first
-SCSI Disks-
ATA Hitachi HTS54323
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GS20N
Generic- Multi-Card

-Version-
Kernel		: Linux 2.6.26-2-amd64 (x86_64)
Compiled		: #1 SMP Sun Jun 21 04:47:08 UTC 2009
C Library		: GNU C Library version 2.9 (stable)
Default C Compiler		: GNU C Compiler version 4.3.3 (Debian 4.3.3-14)
Distribution		: Debian GNU/Linux squeeze/sid
-Current Session-
Computer Name		: debian-liv
User Name		: liviu (Liviu)
Home Directory		: /home/liviu