Re: remapping bluetooth mouse buttons (microsoft notebook presenter 8000)

On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 12:12:58 +0300
Micha Feigin <michf@post.tau.ac.il> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I go myself one of these toys, the microsoft wireless notebook presenter 8000
> mouse which is a bluetooth mouse that can switch from mouse mode to
> presentation mode (it's got several presentation buttons on the back). Its
> recognized via bluetooth, all the top buttons are recognized (9 of them) and
> works well.
>
> The problem is with the presentation buttons, they work, but unlike most
> presentation hardware, instead of sending page up/page down they are sending
> some other key. xev says its 166/167 and the xfce keyboard mapping tool
> recognizes it as XF86Forward/XF86Back buttons.
>
> I want to get it to work with acrobat presentation which means that I need to
> remap these to pageup/pagedown. I want to do this preferable only for the mouse
> as the keyboard also has XF86Forward/XF86Back keys that I would rather leave as
> they are.
>
> I'm guessing that there is some hal option but I'm not sure how to do it.
>
> Any guidance is welcome.
>
> Thanks

I dug a bit deeper and tried adding a file to /etc/hal/fdi/policy/ with the content:

<deviceinfo version="0.2">
  <device>
    <match key="info.product" contains="Microsoft Wireless Notebook Presenter Mouse 8000">
	<append key="input.keymap.data" type="strlist">167:117</append>
	<append key="input.keymap.data" type="strlist">166:112</append>
    </match>
  </device>
</deviceinfo>

and lshal | grep keymap shows
input.keymap.data = {'167:117', '166:112'} (string list)

but it doesn't seem to have any effect