Re: Switching from Arch to Debian Sid.

Hi, Ananda:

On Saturday 15 August 2009 04:37:53 Ananda Samaddar wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm an ex-Debian user who has been using Arch for the past 6 months or
> so.  Some annoyances with it have prompted to give Sid a shot.  I used
> testing for years but got fed up of waiting for updates. I have a few
> questions.
>
> 1. How stable is AMD64 Sid in general?  I'd like to hear users'
> opinions on this.

It's unstable.  You don't think they call it "Unstable" out of a joke, do you?

> 2. Are Debian packages compiled with optimisations (eg -03)?  How much
> of a difference would this make to performance if they aren't?

Usually not.  Regarding performance, well, it depends.

> 4. How often will I have to safe-upgrade with Sid and how often do
> dependencies break?

You'll upgrade as you feel like.  Since safe-upgrade it's more or less the
same than old "upgrade", you usually don't use it on Sid, but "dist-upgrade"
instead, so new versions (and it's the dependencies) can be upgrade.  This
said, if you dist-upgrade daily it will be rare the day that there will be no
pending upgrades.

Regarding how often dependencies break, again, it depends.  But if you are to
be using Sid you are commited to "suffer" dependency breaks and you will be
expected to deal with it.  That's what Unstable is for.