Re: locale problem when setting up a chroot using debootstrap

Osamu Aoki wrote:
On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 07:31:04AM +0100, andy baxter wrote:
Thanks a lot. I was trying to find something like that using dpkg -l and apt-cache search, but obviously missed it.
some packages (e.g. mc), there are a load of errors which seem to be to do with locales. Perl (I think) is saying something like check that the right locale is installed for the language code you have configured (en-GB). (Its hard at the moment to give the exact error

I do not know your version but I remember perl used to print useless
warnings if they are not run under LANG=C.  I.e. en_GB.UTF-8 could be
the source of issue.  You can quiet them by running program as

# LANG=C <somecommand>
I think this is the problem. I tried installing locales and it didn't help. The message that comes up mentions en_GB.UTF-8. Running perl with LANG=C does suppress the warning, so I should be able to sort it out from there.

cheers,

andy