locale problem when setting up a chroot using debootstrap

I'm setting up a chroot using debootstrap, eventually for use with user mode linux. I have got it mostly working ok, but when I install some packages (e.g. mc), there are a load of errors which seem to be to do with locales. Perl (I think) is saying something like check that the right locale is installed for the language code you have configured (en-GB). (Its hard at the moment to give the exact error message because it's on another machine and that filesystem has just died so I'll have to rebuild it before I can reproduce the error). Is there some package I need to install inside the chroot?

Thanks,

andy baxter