GNOME settings on start up

Hello list & happy birthday Debian ... sweet 16 and all of that ;-)

I am having a bit of a problem with the services that GNOME triggers on start up, and would like some ideas on how to fix these.

I really have come to like GNOME as a DE and I know that it is bloated, but the UI is easy on the eyes, adaptable and customisable and it generally stays out of the way (except for a footprint which, on more memory-laden modern machines is not the problem it used to be). Anyway, one of the issues I am finding is that the gnome-screensaver is triggered on start up and runs in the background, but despite being configured to kick in after 20 minutes of inactivity, it doesn't. I also prefer the xscreensaver which can be configured to lock the screen after a bit and does so reliably.

Unfortunately, gnome-screensaver is started automagically whilst I have to kill gnome-screensaver and start xscreensaver manually. Using the session options (i.e. System -> Preferences -> Session Preferences -> Startup Programs) does not fix the issue; similarly, whilst I have kmail and korganizer selected to start at session start up these don't automatically start either.

I am thinking that there must be a configuration file somewhere, but I cannot find it so that I can change these settings through the configuration file directly rather than through a user window/ dialogue box. What is that file called and is it possible to change these settings at that level? If not, what are my alternatives?

Thanks for your input.

AG