Re: GNOME settings on start up

Dne, 17. 08. 2009 10:25:44 je AG napisal(a):
> Hello list & happy birthday Debian ... sweet 16 and all of that ;-)
>
> I am having a bit of a problem with the services that GNOME triggers
> on
> start up, and would like some ideas on how to fix these.
>
> I really have come to like GNOME as a DE and I know that it is
> bloated,
> but the UI is easy on the eyes, adaptable and customisable and it
> generally stays out of the way (except for a footprint which, on more
> memory-laden modern machines is not the problem it used to be).
> Anyway,
> one of the issues I am finding is that the gnome-screensaver is
> triggered on start up and runs in the background, but despite being
> configured to kick in after 20 minutes of inactivity, it doesn't.  I
> also prefer the xscreensaver which can be configured to lock the
> screen
> after a bit and does so reliably.
>
> Unfortunately, gnome-screensaver is started automagically whilst I
> have
> to kill gnome-screensaver and start xscreensaver manually.  Using the
> session options (i.e. System -> Preferences -> Session Preferences ->
> Startup Programs) does not fix the issue; similarly, whilst I have
> kmail
> and korganizer selected to start at session start up these don't
> automatically start either.
>
> I am thinking that there must be a configuration file somewhere, but
>
> cannot find it so that I can change these settings through the
> configuration file directly rather than through a user window/
> dialogue
> box.  What is that file called and is it possible to change these
> settings at that level?  If not, what are my alternatives?
>
> Thanks for your input.
>
> AG
>

> --

I don't think this is the easiest way. Instead of trying to reconfigure
the Gnome session as such, you should probably check out your settings
in System > Preferences > Screensaver and configure them accordingly.
As for programs not starting at start up, I'd start them manually and
then, whilst they're running, select the third tab of the Sessions
settings dialog and click on "Remember the currently running
programs" (or something like that, my Gnome is localized to Slovenian)
-- that way, you should obtain a working session that you can further
refine manually. Remember, there are 3 tabs in the Sessions dialog, and
each one of them is important. The first tab lets you select on the fly
which of the listed programs to actually run at startup -- you select
those by ticking them. The unticked ones won't run. The second tab lets
you define the priority of the programs and their mode (or style).
Although it says "Current sessions", the settings are actually valid
for the following sessions as well. Lower numbers mean higher priority,
so that you will want your metacity process to have a priority of, say,
20 as opposed to 50 which seems to be the default. Also, the right
style (Normal|Restart|Trash|Settings) must be selected for each
process. I'm afraid you'll have to do plenty of trial-and-error ... ;)
I know I did.

--
Certifiable Loonix User 481801