Automatic conversion to ext3 doesn't work. mkinitramfs problem?

Hello,

I read the following in tune2fs manpage:
"On some distributions, such as Debian, if an initial ramdisk is used,
the  initrd  scripts  will automatically convert an ext2 root filesystem
to ext3 if the /etc/fstab  file  specifies  the ext3  filesystem  for
the  root  filesystem  in order to avoid requiring the use of a rescue
floppy to add an ext3 journal  to the root filesystem."

I tried it, but it didn't work on my computer (Debian squeeze).
The script which is used to perform the conversion during boot is
/usr/share/e2fsprogs/initrd.ext3-add-journal. It is supposed to be added
 to the initrd scripts by /usr/share/initrd-tools/scripts/e2fsprogs.

I wonder if this is due to the fact that mkinitramfs doesn't take this
script into account (it was probably written in the time of mkinitrd).

What do you think about this? Should I fill a bug against e2fsprogs?

Thanks,
Nicolas