Re: Unable to install mencoder debian package from debian-multimedia.org.

>> > shouldn't it be: deb http://debian-multimedia.org lenny main       ???
>>
>> The instructions on http://debian-multimedia.org/ says that the
>> "www."-part should be included. I tried your suggestion too, just to
>> see if there were a mistake in the instructions, but it still didn't
>> work.
>>
> i'm sorry i didn't reply to the list before.

No worries.

> you said that you even can't install _any_ packages from there?
> it's strange, i just did it.
>
> rustam@ficus:~$ sudo aptitude update
> Get:1 http://debian-multimedia.org lenny Release.gpg [197B]
> Hit http://debian-multimedia.org lenny/main Translation-en_US
> Get:2 http://debian-multimedia.org lenny Release
> [11.5kB]
> Hit http://debian-multimedia.org lenny/main
> Packages/DiffIndex
> Fetched 11.7kB in 16s
> (705B/s)
> Reading package lists... Done
> Updating debtags database...... Done
>
> rustam@ficus:~$ sudo aptitude install videotrans
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Reading extended state information
> Initializing package states... Done
> Reading task descriptions... Done
>  videotrans
> 0 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> Need to get 72.1kB of archives. After unpacking 332kB will be used.
> Writing extended state information... Done
> Get:1 http://debian-multimedia.org lenny/main videotrans 1.6.0-0.0
> [72.1kB]
> Fetched 72.1kB in 17s
> (4208B/s)
> Reading package fields... Done
> Reading package status... Done
> Retrieving bug reports... Done
> Parsing Found/Fixed information... Done
> Selecting previously deselected package videotrans.
> (Reading database ... 181906 files and directories currently installed.)
> Unpacking videotrans (from .../videotrans_1.6.0-0.0_i386.deb) ...
> Processing triggers for man-db ...
> Setting up videotrans (1.6.0-0.0) ...
> localepurge: checking system for new locale ...
> localepurge: processing locale files ...
> localepurge: processing man pages ...
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Reading extended state information
> Initializing package states... Done
> Writing extended state information... Done
> Reading task descriptions... Done

Yes, that is corect. I cannot install _any_ packages from that
repository. I noticed however that you are getting the "i386"-package.
I need to be getting the "amd64"-package which is named:
http://debian-multimedia.org/pool/main/v/videotrans/videotrans_1.6.0-0.0_amd64.deb.
Maybe my problem has something to do with that?

When I issue the same command as you did above, I get this output:

todu:/home/tommy# aptitude install videotrans
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Writing extended state information... Done
Reading task descriptions... Done
No candidate version found for videotrans
No candidate version found for videotrans
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  ia32-libs-gtk{u} libquicktime1{u} nspluginwrapper{u}
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 3 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 31.8MB will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?]

I'll try to use a mirror as the repository as Andrew suggested in a
previous mail, as soon as I understand the instructions on how to do
that. It could perhaps work but the odds are probably low because this
hasn't worked for at least two days now.

> maybe it's temporary.

The problem has been persistant for at least two days now. I've also
tried this repository line as suggested by a google search, with the
same result:

deb http://ftp.sunet.se/pub/os/Linux/distributions/debian-multimedia/
stable main

I also tried this just in case:

deb ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/os/Linux/distributions/debian-multimedia/ stable main

But that gave the same result, too.

--
Regards,

Thomas Anderson
"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur"