Choosing Laptops/Notebooks

Hi,

I am considering buying a Laptop/Notebook for the first time. To me, what
unique in choosing a Laptop/Notebook than a desktop are, CPU temperature
and power consumption, battery life, hibernation support, weight, etc.

Coincidentally, there was a heat debate on CPU power consumption and
battery life at xtremesystems:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=231413

My conclusion from it is that AMD did an awful job in mobile CPU branch.
I love AMD, all my desktops are AMD based, but from the above thread,
it seems that choosing AMD based Laptops might not be a good idea.
However, despite how well Intel is doing in preserving power consumption
and battery life, I found most of Intel mobile CPUs don't support
virtualization, even in their latest Core2Duo chips. Is it true?

Next is the hibernation support, I mean, I hope the whole system can be
suspended to RAM/disk when the lid is closed. How well this feature
is supported in Linux?

I'm buying the Notebook for its mobility, not as a desktop replacement.
So weight is another concern, which is even more important than battery
life to me. I mean, is anyone here satisfied with your 14" Notebook, or
even smaller ones?

Any other Laptop specific issues you've bumped into? Have low-end
Notebooks like Acer given you trouble?

Thanks

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)