synaptic configuration differences between two Sid boxes

This has me scratching my head.  Two boxes, both set to Sid, the apt
sources of one was copied from the other.  When I search for sun jre, on
one I see sun-java6-bin 6-15-1 (installed and latest version) on the
other I see sun-java6-bin 6-14-1 as installed AND latest version.

Of course, "reload" does not change this.  I have done aptitude clean,
same result.  When I go to "Settings" >"Repositories" on the 6-14-1 box
I get a window titled "Repositories" and it lists all my repos and I can
check or uncheck them or add others.

On the 6-15-1 box I get a windows titled "Software Sources" with 5 tabs
labeled Debian Software, Third-Party Software, Updates, Authnetication,
and Statistics

Both versions are 0.62.5.  I have removed and purged synaptic from the
6-14-1 box and updatedb, locate synaptic.  I removed all synaptic files
except for ones reffering to Xorg (~./local-somepath/synaptic)

Re-installed synaptic and I see the exact same thing and behavior.  Why
is it I see a different behavior from the same package on Gnome-Desktop.
In fact, I routinely run rsync -rav /home/USER to sync the two machines.

--
Damon Chesser <damon@damtek.com>