Re: Choosing Laptops/Notebooks

T o n g wrote:
Hi, I am considering buying a Laptop/Notebook for the first time. To me, what unique in choosing a Laptop/Notebook than a desktop are, CPU temperature and power consumption, battery life, hibernation support, weight, etc.

Coincidentally, there was a heat debate on CPU power consumption and
battery life at xtremesystems:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=231413

My conclusion from it is that AMD did an awful job in mobile CPU branch.
I love AMD, all my desktops are AMD based, but from the above thread,
it seems that choosing AMD based Laptops might not be a good idea. However, despite how well Intel is doing in preserving power consumption
and battery life, I found most of Intel mobile CPUs don't support
virtualization, even in their latest Core2Duo chips. Is it true?
For one, I have an AMD-based laptop and it works great (also battery life, heating, suspend/hibernate). Second, I wouldn't let my opinion be formed by what I read in forums...just take a liveCD with you at the shop and try it out.Core2Duo's AFAIK support virtualization, btw.
Next is the hibernation support, I mean, I hope the whole system can be
suspended to RAM/disk when the lid is closed. How well this feature
is supported in Linux?
I'd say it's supported ok.
I'm buying the Notebook for its mobility, not as a desktop replacement.
So weight is another concern, which is even more important than battery life to me. I mean, is anyone here satisfied with your 14" Notebook, or even smaller ones?

Any other Laptop specific issues you've bumped into? Have low-end
Notebooks like Acer given you trouble?
I worked at some computer service facility and from what I've learned Acer laptops, although cheap, tend to overheat quickly and they hide some other problems as well. Maybe that's just me.
Thanks