No sound with Lenny on Dell Insipiron Mini 10v

A friend has a new Dell Inspiron Mini 10v, came with XP.  I installed Debian via dvd .iso image (dual boot), everything's okay except for audio.  lspci lists - Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller - as the device. There is volume control, etc. All mutes are off.  Booted a live Ubuntu CD just to test, and all audio works; lspci lists the same audio device.  Sound also works in XP, although XP lists it as a Realtek High Definition Audio controller, not Intel.  Also installed gnome-alsamixer and it shows volume/recording controls but nothing impacts sound output.

Tried these tips so far (not a ton of links out there on this that my search revealed):

http://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Dell/InspironMini9 (Audio section)
http://krisrowland.wordpress.com/2009/07/15/fixed-sound-not-working-in-debian-lenny-on-a-dell-mini-9/

I've run out of ideas, and am totally confused why booting from the Ubuntu 9.04 live CD plays sounds while Debian doesn't.  Is there something I should copy from the Ubuntu CD onto the Debian installation media?  i.e. if there is an audio module, etc.  From what I've read support for the audio hardware is built into the kernel so why no sound output?

Any help or ideas are welcomed, including if I missed something obvious and look like a reTARD, that's fine - I just want sound so I don't have to use Ubuntu instead.

Thanks,
Mark