Re: lzma Vs lzip ?

Thomas Preud'homme wrote:
Dead list,

I know I look like crap, but it's just an hangover.. I'm not dead yet :)

I've just discovered the package lzip whose description says: "Lzip is a lossless data compressor based on the LZMA algorithm, with (..) a user interface similar to the one of gzip or bzip2."

I already have lzma installed, whose part of his description is: "This package provides a gzip-like interface for the lzma program."

So what is the difference between lzma and lzip ? Should I fill a bug report with minor severity to ask a statement in long description about differences between lzip and lzma ?

You could file a bug-report regarding the description, but.. we are talking about two different packages. In the lzip description it says: "based on". Only that is enough to either try the package and make up your mind. If the description would be false, and the gip-like interface would not exist, it might be interesting to start a debate to sort the difference in opinion.

But, then again.. it is your call. Personally, I am not bothered by this sales talk.

 ,Mark