Re: Lenny Installation from USB Memory stick using DVD .iso image

Successfully installed Lenny using this method last night.  The only post-installation tweak was to comment out the cd-rom line in /etc/apt/sources.list so aptitude doesn't try to look at the usb memory stick when looking for updates.

Other than that she worked like a charm.

Mark

On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 12:38 AM, Jochen Schulz <ml@well-adjusted.de> wrote:
Mark:

> - used "shred" command to blank memory stick
> - used GParted to create 2 partitions: (1) a 1 GB FAT16 partition that I
> made bootable via Manage Flags; (2) the remainder (~6.6 GB) I formatted to
> ext3
> - followed the instructions here
> http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch04s03.html.en for the FAT16
> partition.
> - unmounted FAT16 partition, then mounted ext3 partition and copied dvd .iso
> image into ext3 partition
>
> Booted from the USB stick and the Debian installer began.  Didn't install
> yet (just tested to see if it booted to the .iso and it looks like it
> started okay) but I anticipate this working when I try to install tonight.

Thanks for sharing this. I would have thought d-i doesn't find the ISO
that way. Very useful to know.

J.
--
At night I go to the kitchen; specifically, the knife drawer.
[Agree]   [Disagree]