Re: Etch to 5.0.2 upgrade failed - Encrypted filesystem will not boot

On Thu, Aug 06, 2009 at 19:21 -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 06 2009, Siggy Brentrup wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Aug 04, 2009 at 18:50 -0500, lineman@halo.nu wrote:
> >> Hi -
> >
> >> I have a Debian Etch system which I recently upgraded to v5.0.2.
> >> The file system was encrypted with LUKS at install time.
> >
> > Please bear with me, I'm asking this out of curiousity.  Why did you
> > encrypt the full root FS?  I can understand that you want your $HOME
> > encrypted, to a lesser degree I can follow you even with /etc, /tmp
> > and /var, but why do you take the performance penalty on publically
> > available stuff?
>
>         Because I have /etc, /var/lib/dpkg, and /usr/local; all kinds of
>  things in /var and /tmp can be sensitive. I encrypt everything except
>  /boot -- even swap.
>
>         All this increases the work-factor fro Mallory -- now, it is
>  somewhat hard to even figure out where each encrypted partition begins,
>  and you can't see what exactly it is that I am running, and it makes
>  it a little harder to inject things on my machine that will be resident
>  in memory and steal the information.
>
>         Encryption is not just about confidentiality, it has an
>  integrity component as well.

Thanks Manoj, always I'm pleased to read your insights.  I assume with
Mallory you are referring to the charater from
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_and_Bob
I had to search for it, but am catching up quickly I hope.

Thanks
  Siggy
--
Please don't Cc: me when replying, I might not see either copy.
               bsb-at-psycho-dot-informationsanarchistik-dot-de