Etch to 5.0.2 upgrade failed - Encrypted filesystem will not boot

Hi -

I have a Debian Etch system which I recently upgraded to v5.0.2.  The file system was encrypted with LUKS at install time.

The upgrade appeared to go well, however when I boot into the new system, it gives the following error:

Volume group "hostname" not found
cryptsetup: Source device /dev/sda5 not found
Begin: Waiting for root file system

This may be unrelated, but it also says:
Driver 'sd' needs updating - Please use bus_type methods.

After 5 minutes it says:

Gave up wating for root device

And drops to a busybox shell.

The /dev/sda devices seem to come up ok, and sda is the same device name that it had before.

When I select the old 2.6.18 kernel in the GRUB menu, it works fine and I can access my data.   Every time I select the newer 2.6.26 kernel, I get this error.

How can I fix this issue?

Thanks!