Re: wi-fi security?

On 2009-08-06_08:16:34, Preston Boyington wrote:
> Manon Metten wrote:
> <snipped>
> > ...when I tried this, aptitude asked if it should remove
> > 'network-manager-kde'. As I'm using that app and don't have wireless,
> > I cancelled the installation.
> >

> yes, this will also happen if you are running the gnome network manager.
>  it's sort of 'all or nothing'.
>
> another option for wifi (and wifi only) is wifi-radar.  i used to use it
> with great success, but didn't need to after switching to wicd since it
> handled all network connections.

A related question:

On my LAN before I got the Acer, I was not using DHCP on any Linux
host.  I suppose that I was not actually using network-manager at all
on any of these host. Correct? If true/yes, I could remove network-manager
on these without suffering any difficulties. Correct?

I probably couldn't actually do it because of dependencies that are enforced
by the apt-get system. But should I really worry about it not working on
my computers that intercommunicate only via /etc/hosts?

I want DHCP in the Acer because I intend to use it in the outside world,
not merely on my LAN. But I want to set it up on my LAN, and hopefully,
prepare it for defending itself in the outside world.

I now see wicd in aptitude on the Acer.
I did have a problem with access to backports.
Thanks to everyone.
--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net