Re: Unable top boot newly installed machine

On Tue, Aug 04, 2009 at 10:25:25AM -0500, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> In <[🔎] 4A781792.8050009@cox.net>, Ron Johnson wrote:

[snip]

> "waiting for root fs..."
> then
> "can't find root fs"
>
> Is usually one of two things:
> 1. Your root= option on the kernel command-line is wrong, that device never
> appears so the kernel can't find /sbin/init or the initrd can't switch/pivot
> root.  Check your menu.lst.
>
> 2. Your kernel/initrd is missing a module that is required to make the /
> file system or the block device it is on active.  Most distributions',
> including Lenny's, scripts that make initrds are fairly good at this, but
> few things are perfect.  You should be able to get a shell inside the initrd
> and attempt to load modules etc. to get the real / file system up.  You'll
> probably discover what module is missing at that point.  A bug might be in
> order.
>
> It might also be because:
> 3. The initrd fails to bring up the device containing the / file system
> because the way it starts the various crypto, RAID, LVM, EVMS, etc. layers
> doesn't result in your block device being created.  If you can get a prompt
> inside the initrd, issue a few commands, then exit the shell and let the
> initrd continue with the boot process because it can now find your device,
> you have this problem; a bug might be in order.

Hi

I tracked it down, seems like a bug with cryptroot hook script in making
the initrd.  if the root partition is mention in the fstab with either
LABEL= or UUID= then it fails to find the underlying encrypt device

I have filed a bug report bit of a pain seeing this is how the deb
installer leaves the machine

Logicians have but ill defined
As rational the human kind.
Logic, they say, belongs to man,