Re: Unable top boot newly installed machine

On 2009-08-04 02:47, Alex Samad wrote:
On 2009-08-03 16:04, Alex Samad wrote:
Hi

I have just installed a machine from a daily build deb installer, I did
the whole disk encryption chioce and now when it is finished and tries
to reboot I can't find the root fs :(

I have been able to boot the partition by hand and I have updated the
system to the latest packages and tried rebooting, but is says booting
and then can't find rootfs :(, when it drops me to a prompt I can
cryptsetup and pvscan + vgchange -ay and then exit out and it will boot
up but I would like it to work properly

any ideas ?
Grub config file misconfigured?
I think not, because grub hands over to the initiramfs scripts and its
local-top that is waiting - but this is an assumption on my part.

There are two layers to this cake:

1. Grub fires up if you "tell" the BIOS which drive to boot from.

2. The grub config file must point to the actual / partition.

If grub points to the *wrong* partition (on, possibly, the wrong disk), then the "can't find the root fs" message appears.

--
Scooty Puff, Sr
The Doom-Bringer