Re: approx: infinite loop during update, importing

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 10:53 +0000, "Sylvain Le Gall" <gildor@debian.org>
wrote:
> On 29-07-2009, whollygoat@letterboxes.org <whollygoat@letterboxes.org>
> wrote:
> > On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 10:09 +0000, "Sylvain Le Gall" <gildor@debian.org>
> > wrote:
> >> >

> >> Using approx since three years, never seen such a behavior.
> >>
> >> - you can download from the machine hosting approx the Package file,
> >>   from internet without problem (e.g. using curl).
> >
> > If I switch /etc/apt/sources.list back to pointing directly to
> > a debian mirror, the file downloads just fine.  This is true
> > both from an remote machine, and from the machine on which I
> > am trying to build the approx package proxy.  It is only
> > when the sources.list files (on the remote machine, or on
> > the machine hosting the approx repository) that the weird
> > incomplete download loop happens.
> >

> You can try using "curl http://.../Packages..."; from the machine
> hosting approx, even if it sounds weird it can give you hints on what is
> happening (I say curl because approx use curl). If the problem is at the
> download level, there is probably a problem with curl from this specific
> computer. The same problem can disappear using apt/wget/iceweasel/...
> from the same machine.

Sorry, this got put on the back burner for a couple
of days. Things seem to have worked themselves out
on the server itself (lenny).  I tried running curl
on the cl. That worked, so I tried aptitude update
with sources.list pointing to the localhost approx
proxy.  Don't understand why, but it is working.

The problem persists from a remote client (a squeeze box),
though.  Packages file downloads variously to between 4 &
6 per cent, then the download stalls for a minute or two.
The partially downloaded file then disappears and returns
as a zero length file which then downloads to between 4 & 6 per cent ...

> Another point is to look at the log in /var/log/* to see what happens
> when the problem appears. You will probably find there some valuable
> information (error messages...).

And you were right:

approx: Nethttpd: Uncaught exception:
Nethttpd_types.Standard_response(-358247754, 0, 0)

appears over and over again in /var/log/syslog when the remote
clients chokes and starts the download over.  Googling that only
turned up one bug report that seems to my naive eye to not
be a related problem, and anyway, was fixed in approx 3.3.0
which is what I am running.

Does the nethttpd error mean anything to anyone?

willy
--

  whollygoat@letterboxes.org