Re: approx: infinite loop during update, importing

In gmane.linux.debian.user, you wrote:

>> You can try using "curl http://.../Packages..."; from the machine
>> hosting approx, even if it sounds weird it can give you hints on what is
>> happening (I say curl because approx use curl). If the problem is at the
>> download level, there is probably a problem with curl from this specific
>> computer. The same problem can disappear using apt/wget/iceweasel/...
>> from the same machine.
>
> Sorry, this got put on the back burner for a couple
> of days. Things seem to have worked themselves out
> on the server itself (lenny).  I tried running curl
> on the cl. That worked, so I tried aptitude update
> with sources.list pointing to the localhost approx
> proxy.  Don't understand why, but it is working.
>
> The problem persists from a remote client (a squeeze box),
> though.  Packages file downloads variously to between 4 &
> 6 per cent, then the download stalls for a minute or two.
> The partially downloaded file then disappears and returns
> as a zero length file which then downloads to between 4 & 6 per cent ...
>

>> Another point is to look at the log in /var/log/* to see what happens
>> when the problem appears. You will probably find there some valuable
>> information (error messages...).
>
> And you were right:
>
> approx: Nethttpd: Uncaught exception:
> Nethttpd_types.Standard_response(-358247754, 0, 0)
>
> appears over and over again in /var/log/syslog when the remote
> clients chokes and starts the download over.  Googling that only
> turned up one bug report that seems to my naive eye to not
> be a related problem, and anyway, was fixed in approx 3.3.0
> which is what I am running.
>
> Does the nethttpd error mean anything to anyone?

Nethttpd server is probably not complete enough to answer specific
option used by aptitude...

Can you try a simple "apt-get update" or "curl
http://host:port/.../Packages"; from the squeeze box (where host/port
match approx host/port).

Regards,
Sylvain Le Gall