Re: dot matrix printer unicode question

In <[🔎] Pine.BSF.4.64.0907311618570.93046@freire1.furyyjbeyq.arg>, Jude DaShiell
wrote:
>Could unicode be the reason my Panasonic KX-p1123 printer prints garbage
>on sveral pages when I try printing out a 13 line long text file on Linux
>and that same file gets printed perfectly when done with a real dos
>computer?  I have a printer queue set up which allows lpr and lp both to
>print garbage last time a sighted person took a look dollar signs question
>marks and very long lines of text were being printed.  This is a grocery
>list with one item per line.

I'm betting you are using CUPS.

If so, the file is probably being converted to PostScript.

CUPS uses PostScript as an intermediate language.  The filters/drivers/etc.
that talk to the printer expect PostScript input.  If a queue is "raw" the
input is just sent directly to the printer.

However, since all the filters expect PostScript, many of the command-line
tools (and probably the web-based interface and API) will auto-convert the
input to PostScript as part of adding it to the queue.

I'm sitting in front of an openSUSE 11.1 machine right now, so the manpages
I checked might not be completely correct but... If you are using lpr you
and use "-l" or "-o raw" as additional argument(s) to force a job not to be
converted to PostScript.  If you are using lp, "-o raw" should still work.
In fact, the "raw" options should be settable through virtually any
interface to CUPS, but the exact method will differ.