dot matrix printer unicode question

Could unicode be the reason my Panasonic KX-p1123 printer prints garbage on sveral pages when I try printing out a 13 line long text file on Linux and that same file gets printed perfectly when done with a real dos computer? I have a printer queue set up which allows lpr and lp both to print garbage last time a sighted person took a look dollar signs question marks and very long lines of text were being printed. This is a grocery list with one item per line.