Re: ssh says Cannot listen to port: 6000

On 29 Jul 2009, Ron Johnson wrote:

> >>Please forget this nonsense, I read only the subject line, not
> >>the body of your message.
> >

> >Thanks to you and Ron I now know that port 6000 is being used by X11.
> >And in fact, if I ssh at a terminal without starting X I can connect.
> >But then, of course, I can't start X!
> >
> >How can this be resolved? It must  be possible because it works on two
> >other computers, just not on this one.
>
> Compare /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc across the systems.  Mine, devoid
> of whitespace and comments, simply says:
>
>     $ cat /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc
>     exec /usr/bin/X11/X -nolisten tcp
>
> Googling "-nolisten tcp" should point you in the right direction.

Sorry, Ron - I accidentally replied to you instead of the list. Anyway,
for everyone else. this is the answer:

Thanks, yes; I'd just found this myself, at
http://etutorials.org/Networking/network+security+hacks/Chapter+1.+Unix+Host+Security/Hack+9+Prevent+Services+from+Bindi+ng+to+an+Interface/

Ron is indeed right, but oddly enough I do have the same line in
/etc/X11/xserverrc but the 'nolisten' switch is being ignored on this
machine. If I start X with 'startx -- -nolisten tcp' everything works.

Probably needs a bug report.

AC

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk